Incredible vegetarian fried rice made with low carb forbidden rice, gorgeous veggies like red bell pepper, carrots & red cabbage, and a hint of sweetness from pineapple. This healthy vegetarian dinner packs plenty of protein from eggs and edamame, too!
For the rice:
1 cup uncooked forbidden rice
1 teaspoon coconut oil or toasted sesame oil
2 cups water
Pinch of salt
For the scrambled eggs*
Nonstick cooking spray (I like avocado oil cooking spray)
2 large eggs + 1 tablespoon water
For the fried rice + veggies:
1 ½ tablespoons toasted sesame oil or coconut oil, divided
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen cubed pineapple
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 bunch green onions, chopped (reserve some for topping)
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cups shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots (or carrots cut into matchsticks)
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
1 tablespoon chili paste
2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos, plus more to taste
1/3 cup coarsely chopped honey roasted or regular cashews (or peanuts)
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
Extra green onion/scallions
honey roasted cashews (use regular roasted cashews if vegan)
- To make the forbidden rice: Add rice and coconut oil to a medium pot and place over medium heat. Toast rice for 2 minutes with the oil to enhance the flavor and texture. After 2 minutes, add water and salt and stir. Allow water to come to a boil, then turn heat to low, cover and cook for 45-55 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit in pan covered for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork. The rice should be slightly chewy but still soft.
- While the rice is cooking, you can chop your veggies and cook your eggs. Add eggs and water to a bowl and beat slightly with a fork. Place a large skillet or wok over medium low heat and spray with a little nonstick cooking spray (alternatively you can use a little oil). Add eggs to the pan and season with a little salt and pepper, scramble and cook eggs until done but still slightly wet. Transfer eggs to a bowl and set aside.
- Once rice is done cooking, you can start cooking your veggies. Wipe the same large skillet or wok you used clean with a paper towel, then add in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or sesame oil and place over medium high heat. Add in pineapple, garlic, ginger, green onion and red bell pepper; saute for 4-6 minutes until pineapple starts to caramelize and turn slightly golden brown on the edges.
- Next add in the remaining veggies: red cabbage, carrots and edamame. Saute for 3-5 more minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer all of the veggies to a large plate or bowl.
- Now it’s time to fry up the rice! Add the remaining ½ tablespoon oil to the same pan and place over medium heat. Add in your cooked rice and cook, stirring frequently for 2-4 minutes.
- Add all of your cooked veggies plus the cooked eggs back to the pan. Stir in the the chili paste, soy sauce and honey roasted cashews and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. You may want to add another tablespoon of soy sauce or even some crushed red pepper flakes for a little hint of spice. It’s up to you.
- Garnish with additional nuts, cilantro and a little extra green onion. Serves 4.